Interior doors: how to choose well?
Choosing the right interior doors is an essential element in the construction of your house or in a commercial building. They’re the ones delimiting the different areas of the house. They need to be chosen with care to meet the needs of each area and to maintain a practical and esthetic harmony. See how different styles and features can influence your choice of interior doors.
For a replacement in an existing building, it’s better to keep the established direction. However, for new constructions, it’s good to take time to think about the different factors that can influence which direction you choose. The first thing to notice is the presence of obstacles close to the door frame, whether it be an angled wall, another door, a countertop, a piece of furniture, etc. A door that only opens halfway can hinder circulation and prevent access to certain pieces of furniture in the room.
In other cases, the opening direction of a door can help hide an object, for example a toilet or a hot water tank. Additionally, a door can be opened by pushing or by pulling, and can be handled on the left or on the right. If none of these options seem satisfactory, opting for a folding or a sliding door might be an option.
A door for every room
Each room has a specific use that can influence your door choice. Here are a couple of pointers for different rooms:
- Bathroom: privacy is an important element to consider. Choose an opaque door.
- Bedroom: good sleep requires a lack of light and surrounding noises. That’s why a soundproof opaque door may be a better option.
- Main rooms (living room, dining room, etc.): Good lighting and heavy foot traffic are the main points. Why not choose a glass door to let the light in!
- Garage or basement: These rooms can be less insulated and more humid. A waterproof door with good thermal and noise insulation can be a good option.
The door style
Whether it’s in its shape, elaborations, color or material, a multitude of choices are available to you when it comes to choosing the desired door style.
Here are a couple of things to consider when it comes to the desired esthetics for your doors:
- Full or hollow door: A solid wood door can bring a certain flair to the decor, but can be heavy to handle. A hollow door will be filled with polystyrene, agglomerate or laminated timber, making the door lighter.
- Design: If you browse our catalogs, you’ll see that you have a lot of choice when it comes to the pattern. Consult them to pinpoint the design that fits your style.
- Door type: Revolving, sliding, folding, the important thing is to know the possible constraints and to make an enlightened choice according to the layout of your space.
- Color: Natural or flamboyant, each color you choose for your doors can lead to a different decor.
- Material: Although they remain interior doors after all, the choice of material can actually have an influence on their manipulation and style.
- Accessory choices: When it’s time to think about accessories, the choice of handles and locks allows to door to harmonize itself with the room decor. Discover all our accessories here!
Where to begin
After seeing all those details, know that it is possible to get help with choosing your doors. At Portes et Fenêtres Valleyfield, our dynamic team is at your disposal to guide you towards the right product for you. Moreover, we offer a door and window installation service by our experts. No matter your project, we’re here to help you!