3 things to consider when changing your windows
Windows are a very important part of a home. Old windows can be the cause of several problems. Indeed, Transition Énergétique Québec estimates that 32% of heat loss due to poor insulation is through windows. This is why it is important to choose them wisely. Here are 3 things to consider when changing your windows, as listed by Ecohabitation .
Le label ENERGY STAR®
When shopping for windows, look out for ENERGY STAR qualified products ® . Often better known in the household appliance category, these products guarantee lower energy consumption. In the case of windows, those that are approved reduce your heating and air conditioning consumption. At Portes et Fenêtres Valleyfield , the majority of our products are ENERGY STAR qualified ® .
For glazing, there are 2 main varieties: double glazed and triple glazed, the latter offering more efficient insulation. In addition, there are various options to increase the seal and bring it to the next level:
- Argon or krypton gas : these inert gases injected between the two glazings create a barrier between cold and hot.
- Low-emissivity film : this film allows the sun’s rays to enter inside, but does not allow hot infrared to come out.
- Interlayer : offered in aluminum or plastic, plastic is preferred, because the ‘aluminum conducts the temperature.
Different frames exist to surround your glazing: wood, aluminum and PVC. Each has its advantages and disadvantages :
- Aesthetic and warm;
- Good insulating properties;
- Requires regular application of tint.
- Robust and resistant;
- Thermal bridge: transmits heat or cold, therefore requires the installation of an often expensive thermal break.
- Moisture resistant;
- Resistant to insects and corrosion;
- Requires little maintenance;
- Its color may fade over time;
- May curl in large temperature variations.
Regardless of the choice of windows you make for your new window, Portes et Fenêtres Valleyfield is here for you! Our wide selection of products and our unparalleled customer service will make your shopping experience with us a pleasant one and satisfying for your needs.
Contact us now or come see us in store, we are waiting for you!